CMS COMPONENTS YOU NEED TO FILL OUT
NOTE: THIS WILL SHOW UP ON YOUR AUTHOR PAGE AND REPRESENTS THE QUALITY OF YOUR WORK. IT IS SEARCHABLE BY ANYONE LOOKING FOR YOUR WORK.
❖ Log into ARC Publishing
❖ Select ARC Publishing
❖ Select Composer
❖ Click Blank Story Template
❖ Create A New Story
Begin on Planning Tab
WRITE YOUR HEADLINE IN WORKING HEADLINE This is the headline (HL) to your story.
▪ Use sentence case: Only capitalize first word and proper nouns eg. Riverside pushes back against state water restrictions
▪ No punctuation.
▪ Use as few words as possible. Stay away from unnecessary adjectives and adverbs.
▪ Use the present tense.
▪ Make sure the headline speaks to the overall subject of your piece.
▪ Find your name. Please also add additional authors who have contributed to or worked on the piece. NOTE: You need to have an author profile. If you don’t, you need to create one. It’s important for you to add your bio and picture in ARC. Remember — your work is searchable by future employers.
▪ Save all of this in upper righthand corner.
Click on META
WRITE A DESCRIPTION ▪ This is a short summary. Two sentences. (100-150 WORDS)
ADD SEO KEYWORDS
▪ These are words anything a search engine should notice. Proper nouns, names etc. They should be be unique to your story.
ADD STORY TAGS
▪ Terms that are broader. The umbrella story. Eg. Admissions scandal. Immigration. Trump. USC.
▪ Save Your Post
Upload a Photo
▪ Go to ARC Home
▪ Open Photo Center
▪ Upload Images
▪ Select File
▪ Edit Image Details
▪ Add Caption In Caption
▪ Full Sentences With Punctuation.
▪ This Is What It Should Be: (Photo by: First and Last Name) or (Photo courtesy of: first and last name/AP)
▪ Add Photographer: Your Name Or Name Of Photog Who Took Photo
▪ Add Keywords: Specific To Your Story, Hit (+) Sign
▪ Save Go Back To Composer
▪ Go To Featured Media
▪ Select Media Type: Image
▪ Select Media Key: Basic
▪ Add Media
▪ Note: If You Don’t See Your Photo, Make Sure It’s Sorted By Date Uploaded.
▪ Click Photo And Hit Select
❖ If you download the photo from AP Image: a. Go to: http://www.apimages.com b. Login: firstname.lastname@example.org c. Password: News_watch@6 d. Search for image e. Download photo
▪ Hit Save Lastly, Add Internal Memo Note
▪ Go Back To Compose
▪ Hit Add Internal Memo Note
▪ Write – Ready For Editor Review – Name
▪ Copy URL and Paste In Your Trello Card
▪ Let Your Producer Know You’ve Completed This Step
▪ You’re Done ****DO NOT EMBED AUDIO. ONLY MANAGERS DO THIS.***** If you are doing a segment that requires a standalone web post (i.e. Ampersand, Match Volume, Trojan Tales, etc.), this step also needs to be completed:
Click on Compose Tab
WRITE SUBHEADLINE: Goes where it says subheadline.
▪ This is a quick tease that’s shorter than the description. It appears underneath your TITLE/HL on the webpage. Should be one sentence. Eg. The Inland Empire’s largest city, Riverside, was ordered to cut its water use by 28 percent, but Riverside city officials say that’s unfair, and the city has threatened to sue.
ADD A SUMMARY ▪ This provides context to your story. Not a tease. This is a longer description of your piece (a couple of paragraphs), or you can paste your script in here but make sure it is not in all-caps. It could also be something extra that you didn’t include in your script, as well.
Eg. Earlier this year, Governor Jerry Brown made good on a threat that had been hanging in the air for months. He ordered the state’s first-ever mandatory cuts in water use. For the city of Riverside, that would amount to a 28-percent cut. But Riverside officials say it’s unfair and says it won’t follow the mandate. Etc. (not going to post entire print story but here’s a link.)